IMI Industrial Fellowship
Industrial challenges are complex and no scientific discipline is better placed to understand and manage that complexity than mathematics and statistics. IMI has a strong track record of working with industry to explore and address mathematically based company challenges. IMI is now offering you an exciting opportunity, through the Industrial Fellows Programme, for sustained engagement with its high-level/cutting edge mathematical, statistical and machine learning expertise.
How does an IMI Industrial Fellowship add value?
Industrial fellows are full members of the IMI and work alongside IMI staff and Academic Fellows.
- They play a key role in establishing long-term strategic partnerships between the IMI and their company, and will be given the opportunity to organise IMI ‘industry days’ focused around their company.
- The scheme gives the Industrial Fellow the opportunity to increase their visibility in the academic community, including meeting the excellent students at Bath who may become future employees.
- Each Industrial Fellow will have a prominent space on the IMI website.
- The initial tenure for an Industrial Fellow is for 18 months, with the option to extend if leveraged research income is obtained. The precise time commitment is flexible and is up to the Industrial Fellow.
- Industrial Fellows will have access to IMI’s mathematical, statistical and machine learning expertise, through scheduled meetings with IMI and academic personnel.
- Fellows can participate in IMI academic and knowledge exchange workshops, and will be supported to apply for external research funding (e.g. Innovate UK, ISCF, and Royal Society schemes) jointly with IMI and Bath researchers.
- Industry Fellows will also have the opportunity to work on short (eg. MSc, research contract) and longer term (eg. PhD, Postdoctoral) research contracts, as well as commercial contracts with the IMI Mathematical Innovation Research Associates (MIRAs) under NDA (if desired).
It is expected that each fellowship will be built around a novel collaborative project between the Industry Fellow and the IMI, typically via a partnership with an IMI Academic Fellow. The project will be a complementary blend of the skills and research expertise of both, reflecting the true nature of knowledge exchange.
Current Industrial Fellows
Become an Industrial Fellow
As a valued collaborator with the University of Bath, we hope that you, or a colleague, will be interested in the opportunities described above. To apply;
- Complete the online expression of interest (EOI) form via this link
with an overview of your proposed project and scope of business, and an outline of why you would like to collaborate with IMI
- A member of the team will then contact you to arrange a meeting to discuss your application in more detail. If necessary, we are happy for these conversations to be done under an NDA. In this meeting you would be most welcome to discuss further projects between your company and the IMI, building on your already strong collaboration with Bath.
- A full application will be made together and submitted to the Knowledge Exchange Board for review and approval
We should emphasise that no cash contribution is expected, but we will greatly appreciate your in-kind contribution.