IMI Academic Fellowship
The IMI fellowship gives you the opportunity to accelerate your research ambitions where mathematical innovation plays a fundamental underlying role. The fellowship will give you access to a number of additional financial opportunities, resources and support mechanisms that will help you move your research vision further and faster. The fellowship is open to academics at all career stages (L/SL/R/Prof) at the University of Bath; specifically, individuals or groups of researchers on campus who are either:
- already engaged in a productive collaboration, involving both mathematicians and academics from other disciplines, working in the domain of interdisciplinary, industrial or impact-driven research;
- or, who wish to pursue mathematical research in the context of knowledge exchange, internationalisation and/or postdoctoral training.
The initial tenure is for 18 months with six-monthly light-touch reporting and the option to extend if leveraged research income is obtained.
How does an IMI Fellowship add value?
- Fellows may work with one of IMI’s Mathematical Innovation Research Associates (MIRAs) to help develop the mathematical aspect of a grant submission, provided they cost in the MIRA’s time into the submission to help deliver this component of the grant.
- Fellows can apply for a financial contribution into grants submitted (e.g. additional travel or visitor funds, running a workshop, extending the length of a postdoc, purchase of computing equipment etc.), awarded on successful grant capture.
- Fellows can write into grant applications administrative support from the IMI for research activities (e.g. coordinating a workshop or congress).
- Fellows may receive additional strategic support to develop their large grant application(s) or industrial research project(s), e.g. helping with impact, connecting to industry, attracting other resources to proposal submissions.
- Fellows’ grant-funded projects will be described on the IMI webpages thereby increasing visibility, impact and growth of successful projects. The IMI will continue to help RFs with successful grant capture to leverage follow-on-funding, impact and other opportunities.
Become a Fellow
- There will be at least two calls per year (PIs and Co-Is targeting large interdisciplinary grants may apply as a team of RFs) which will coincide with “funding drives” run by IMI in collaboration with other centres and institutes across campus.
- Research Fellow applications will be considered at any time for individuals applying to funding opportunities exceeding £1M.
- Applicants will provide details on up to five grants planned for the first 18 months of the fellowship at least one of which should be submitted within the first nine months and valued at >£300K (exceptions made for e.g. UKRI new investigator awards and other highly prestigious awards).
- Applications are reviewed by the IMI Scientific Panel.
The closing date for the current call for IMI Fellowships is:
11 October 2021
Applicants intending to use the fellowship to target a grant opportunity exceeding £1M may apply at any time
Current IMI Research Fellows applying for research proposal support may do so at any time and should complete a support request form at least FOUR weeks prior to grant submission deadline.
If requesting an Idea Generation Workshop, requests must be submitted at least NINE weeks prior to deadline.