The Institute of Mathematical Innovation (IMI) runs a fellowship scheme to stimulate increased quality, volume and strategic focus of research income.
Research Fellows (RFs) are Bath academics from across the mathematical spectrum in all departments, including those wanting to develop a deeper mathematical aspect to their research.
IMI will assist its Fellows with:
- Bidding for major funding from research councils, learned societies or industry by adding to proposals: financial enhancement, mathematical research support or other value (See below), thus increasing their competitiveness;
- Enhancing the delivery of grant capture through technical and operational support and contact with external partnership;
- Developing a strategy for long-term research vision, including further grant capture and impact.
The RF scheme is open to academics across campus at any stage of their career (L/SL/R/Prof). The initial tenure is for 18 months with six-monthly light-touch reporting and the option to extend if leveraged research income is obtained.
What are the benefits of an IMI research fellowship?
Fellows may work with one of IMI’s Mathematical Innovation Research Associates (MIRAs) to help develop the mathematical aspect of a grant submission, provided they cost in the MIRA’s time into the submission to help deliver this component of the grant.
Fellows can apply for a financial contribution into grants submitted (e.g. additional travel or visitor funds, running a workshop, extending the length of a postdoc, purchase of computing equipment etc.), awarded on successful grant capture.
Fellows can write into grant applications administrative support from the IMI for research activities (e.g. coordinating a workshop or congress).
Fellows may receive additional strategic support to develop their large grant application(s) or industrial research project(s), e.g. helping with impact, connecting to industry, attracting other resources to proposal submissions.
Fellows’ grant-funded projects will be described on the IMI web pages thereby increasing visibility, impact and growth of successful projects. The IMI will continue to help RFs with successful grant capture to leverage follow-on-funding, impact and other opportunities.
Current IMI Research Fellows applying for research proposal support should complete a Support Request form at least FOUR weeks prior to grant submission deadline.
If requesting an Idea Generation Workshop, requests must be submitted at least NINE weeks prior to deadline.
Become a Fellow
- There will be at least two calls per year (PIs and Co-Is targeting large interdisciplinary grants may apply as a team of RFs) which will coincide with “funding drives” run by IMI in collaboration with other centres and institutes across campus.
- Research Fellow applications will be considered at any time for individuals applying to funding opportunities exceeding £1M.
- Applicants will provide details on up to five grants planned for the first 18 months of the fellowship at least one of which should be submitted within the first nine months and valued at >£300K (exceptions made for e.g. UKRI new investigator awards and other highly prestigious awards).
- Applications are reviewed by the IMI Scientific Panel.
The closing date for the current call is 15/01/2021.
Applicants intending to use the fellowship to target a grant opportunity exceeding £1M may apply at any time